Saturday, January 19, 2013

Now What was I Going to Write?

Once upon a time I came up with a grand scheme for writing a book and then couldn't find a word to put in it.  Somebody told me I had to have a title, and outline and a character.  And of course I never wrote a word that way.


When I wrote My Secret Lymphoma I didn't begin with an outline, I just began a blog (also called My Secret Lymphoma) and then asked myself what was missing.  I reconstructed the parts of the book that seemed to me to be important.  The biopsy, for example.  The lumbar puncture.  The fact that I went through an uncomfortable period where I was begging for drugs.


Now that I'm writing another memoir and doing more actual writing than organizing I'm enjoying myself a good deal than I did writing those many outlines.   I'm more concerned about enjoying the writing itself, and I might get a book to publish eventually.

I've been looking around for free classes or small You Tube pieces that will help me understand how to do a memoir and found something by Laura Fraser about structuring a memoir

You might enjoy it.

PJ


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. If I find your comment offensive, I will purge it.